STEP 1 >> LEARN ABOUT FASTING
Before you can begin making plans for your fast it's important that you understand...
STEP 2 >> SET A GOAL(S) FOR YOUR FAST
Here are a few questions to help you get started in defining a personal goal(s):
- Is there a characteristic of God that I want to learn more about?
- Is there something about myself that I want God to show me?
- Is there a need I want God to meet?
- What decision do I need God to provide clarity about?
- What dream do I have that I need God to provide clear direction for?
STEP 3 >> PICK A TYPE OF FAST
HOW you fast is far less important than WHY you are fasting and WHO your fast is about!
Here are four types of fasting that we recommend: (click each to learn more)
STEP 4 >> MAKE A PLAN
The EFFORT and SACRIFICE you put into your plan will determine the GROWTH you get from it!
Have some conversations before your fast begins
- If you have children, invite them to give input about what they might want to fast from and help them set a goal(s)
- Talk with your family, especially your children, about what you are fasting from so that they will understand why meals, evening schedules, etc. are going to be different
- Talk with a trusted friend about your fasting goals and what you are fasting from so that they can encourage and support you during your fast
Daniel Fast & The THREE
- Meal planning is vital to your success!
- With your meal plan in hand - heading to the grocery store before the fast begins will help position you for success from day 1
- Refer to the "Daniel Fast" for help with meal planning
- Make a plan for how you are going to invest the time you would spend eating meals - such as...
- In place of breakfast - Dig deep into God's Word
- In place of Lunch - Spend an hour in prayer
- In place of Dinner - Journal about what you learned during the day & spend time in the Word & Prayer
Full Media Fast & The THREE
- Make a plan for how you are going to invest the time you would normally spend on social media, internet, TV, etc... - such as...
- Dig deep into God's Word in place of TV time
- Stop and pray every time you would normally hop on social media
- Spend some quality time with family or friends in place of TV or internet time
GET MORE IDEAS for your media fast plan
STEP 5 >> PREPARE FOR DIFFICULTIES
Any time that we make sacrifices to seek greater intimacy with Christ, we can expect there to be difficulties along the way.
The best time to PREPARE for difficulties is BEFORE you ENCOUNTER them.
It is likely that during your fast you will experience...
- Physical Difficulties
- Spiritual Difficulties
- Spiritual Attack from the enemy
LEARN MORE about how to prepare for difficulties.
Explore FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS about fasting.